Editor's Note: Quarterman Lee, primary author of Facilities & Workplace Design: An Illustrated Guide has kindly made the entire book available for download, as he explains in the note below. Following his note, you will find links to individual chapters (in PDF format) of the book; you may download as many as you like.
A Note from the Author Regarding
Facilities & Workplace Design: An Illustrated Guide
(First Edition; Engineering & Management Press; Institute of Industrial Engineers; Norcross, Ga. USA; 1996)
I have been writing a second edition with more Lean Manufacturing examples and terminology. However, progress has been painfully slow. Many people have requested either edition. Accordingly, I am making this special version of the First Edition available on a complimentary basis.
This special edition is a scanned copy of the original in PDF format. Some figures did not scan well. In addition, there are original typesetting errors, particularly in the later chapters. If you find yourself confused, it may be due to a mislabeled or misplaced figure. I apologize for these lapses in quality. They account for one reason why the book is free.
However, the principles remain sound; examples are realistic; the approach is universal. It applies to Lean Manufacturing and, indeed, any manufacturing strategy.
I hope this is helpful in your facilities planning work.
Kansas City, Mo. USA
Click links below to download PDF versions of desired chapters from Facilities & Workplace Design: An Illustrated Guide.
- Table of Contents/Preface/Acknowledgments (7 pages)
- Chapters 1-3, "Facilities in a Changing Environment", "The Framework for Facilities Design", "The Macro-Space-Plan" (106 pages)
- Chapter 4, "Micro-Space-Planning and Work Cell Design" (54 pages)
- Chapter 5, "Workstation Design: The Sub-Micro-Space-Plan" (22 pages)
- Chapter 6, "Site Planning and Location" (22 pages)
- Chapter 7, "Office Space Planning" (12 pages)
- Chapter 8, "A Final Note" (18 pages)