Astellas commits to net zero emissions by 2050

Feb. 9, 2023

Japanese drugmaker Astellas Pharma announced this week that it's committed to achieving net zero greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 2050.

To do so, the company is committing to reducing 90% of its gas emissions in all scopes and neutralizing the remaining 10% by then. In its 2021 Corporate Strategic Plan, Astellas had vowed to “engage more with sustainability.”

When referring to scope emissions, scope 1 is direct emissions from in-house fuels, scope 2 is indirect emissions from purchased electricity and scope 3 refers to emissions in the supply chain of business activities. Studies have found that the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry is spending more than $1 billion on energy consumption every year, generating 55% more emissions than the automotive industry.