Six Facility of the Year Awards Winners Announced for 2013
The Facility of the Year Awards (FOYA) judging panel has selected six Category Award Winners in the 2013 Facility of the Year Awards program. The winning projects were chosen from 27 entries and are located in Ireland, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.
"The FOYA program is about recognizing the pharmaceutical industry's innovation and technical advances in facility manufacturing, which ultimately is about helping patients who need and depend upon us for a reliable supply of quality medications," said Chaz Calitri, Vice President of Network Performance at Pfizer and chair of the 2013 FOYA Judging Panel. "The six facilities honored by this year's awards program embody innovation, exemplified by advances in areas including flu vaccine manufacturing, which is very relevant in parts of the world right now where outbreaks have occurred, threatening public health. All of this year's honorees are to be commended for their important contributions to our industry and, most importantly, to improving people's lives."
The winners and their award categories are as follows:
1. Biogen Idec, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Facility Integration for its Flexible Volume Manufacturing (FVM) Project in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina USA.
2. F. Hoffmann – La Roche, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Project Execution for its TR&D – Building 98 Facility in Basel Switzerland.
3. MedImmune, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Equipment Innovation for its UK Automation Upgrade Project in Speke, Liverpool UK
4. Merck & Co., Inc., winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Operational Excellence for its Vaccine and Biologics Sterile Facility (VBSF) Project in Carlow Ireland
5. Morphotek, Inc., winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Sustainability for its Morphotek Pilot Plant in Exton, Pennsylvania USA
6. Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics, winner of the Facility of the Year Award for Process Innovation for its U.S. Flu Cell Culture Facility in Holly Springs, North Carolina USA
The Facility of the Year Awards Program is sponsored by ISPE, INTERPHEX, and Pharmaceutical Processing magazine. It is an annual program recognizing state-of-the-art pharmaceutical manufacturing projects that use innovative technologies to enhance the delivery of a superior project, as well as reduce the cost of producing high-quality medicines. Currently in its 9th year, the awards program recognizes the accomplishments, commitment, and dedication of individuals in companies worldwide to innovate and advance pharmaceutical manufacturing technology for the benefit of all consumers.
For more information about the winning companies and their projects, visit www.FacilityoftheYear.org/FOYAWinners2013.