At least 17 children in Spain developed a form of “werewolf syndrome” after they were given mislabeled medication.
The Spanish Agency of Medicines and Medical Devices (AEMPS) found that pharma company FarmaQuimica Sur had mistakenly distributed minoxidil, a drug that helps fight baldness, to pharmacists, but labeled it omeprazole, a drug that treats acid reflux.
Some of the children who took the mislabeled medicine began growing hair all over their bodies, a rare condition known as hypertrichosis.
FarmaQuimica Sur, based in the southern city of Málaga, got its supplies of omeprazole from India, according to health inspectors. AEMPS determined that the bulk shipment of the gastric reflux drug came in from India properly labeled, but when it was divided and repackaged, workers used the wrong description materials.
The FarmaQuimica Sur operation was shut down and supplies of omeprazole are being withdrawn from the market.
Read the full story
Don't miss your Daily Dose. Get news like this delivered right to your inbox.