Green Resources Library
The Green Resources Library offers a focused, easy-to-search source of best green practices and tools that pharma and biopharma companies are using to improve their energy efficiency and overall process. It also features articles, papers, and reference sources from companies and experts on ways to incorporate environmental initiatives.
- What’s Your True Green?
If it can’t be measured, it can’t be green; leading manufacturers are turning to advanced metrics to show just how sustainable their products, processes, and plants really are.
- Gaining Approval for Green Initiatives
Two magic words—Cost Saving—can engender support for green initiatives.
- Buzz Cue: How is Pharma Gauging Its Greenness?
A green chemistry and environmental expert talks about whether pharma is really as green as it thinks it is.
- Prioritizing Pharma’s Green Engineering Needs
Continuous processing and bioprocesses deserve more attention, says GSK’s Conchita Jimenez-Gonzalez, who chairs the ACS GCI Pharma Roundtable.
- Green Gets Granular: Single-Use vs. Traditional Biopharm Process Trains
Process modeling and life cycle assessment are helping to gauge the environmental impact of single-use equipment.
- Leveraging Green Metrics for Route Selection and Process Optimization
At Pfizer, a co-design approach and enhanced information sharing between R&D and manufacturing is improving results.
- Therapeutic Dose: Greening the Pharma Lab
Reducing environmental impact may not have been vendors’ primary goal, but it has been a welcome result, allowing dramatic cost savings.
- Merck's Silverman: Time to Upgrade Regs for Environmental Risk Assessments
In searching for a model, FDA and EMA need look no further than Canada.
- Taking Advantage of the USPTO's New Green Technology Pilot Program
An applicant may have a patent application accorded special status if it is directed to certain "green" technologies.
- Green Processes: PAT and QbD Take Root
Leveraging PAT and QbD promises significant environmental dividends
- Outsourcing Excellence: A Catalyst for Sustainability
DSM Pharmaceutical Products has found that "going green" in its processes is easy to justify from a cost standpoint and gives it a competitive advantage.
- Pharma's New Mind-Set: Green and Generous?
Interphex 2010 revealed two key trends in pharma: a willingness to spend, and an emphasis on green.
- The Greening of Pharma
Experts give some Big Pharma companies high marks for their environmental initiatives. Benchmarking efforts and new tools promise to make it easier for all drug companies, regardless of size, to improve performance and reduce costs.
- Green Processing
After a long struggle, chemical manufacturers have recognized the economic value of green chemistry. Now, pharmaceutical manufacturers are following their lead, guided by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s principles of green chemistry. In the process, they’re achieving significant efficiencies.
- The Greening of a Roche API Process: Pollution Prevention Pays
Moving to a single-step process removed capacity bottlenecks while reducing solvent use; the Clarecastle plant recouped its investment in less than a year.
- Energy Star Tools and Resources Library
- Energy Star Executive Energy To-Do List
- Energy Star Energy Program Assessment Matrix
- Energy Star Facility Energy Assessment Matrix
- Navigating Energy Management: A Roadmap for Business
- Energy Star Industrial Energy Management Information Center
- Energy Star Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Focus
- Energy Star Building Upgrade Manual
- Energy Star Building Upgrade Value Calculator
- Energy Star Financial Value Calculator
- Energy Star Cash Flow Opportunity Calculator
- Energy Star Find Expert Help Website
- Labs for the 21st Century (Labs21) Voluntary Partnership Program Factsheet
- Labs21 Resources Tool Kit
- Labs21 Design Process Manual
Agency & Association Contacts
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Green Chemistry Program
- U.S. EPA Green Engineering
- U.S. EPA's Climate Leaders Program
- U.S. Dept. of Energy's (DOE) Energy Efficiency Website
- U.S. DOE's Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Website
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory's Environmental Energy Technologies Division's Industrial Energy Analysis
- Laboratories for the 21st Century (Labs21), a joint program of EPA and DOE, managed by Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Energy Star Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Focus
- U.S. Green Building Council
- American Chemical Society's (ACS) Green Chemistry Institute (GCI)
- ACS-GCI Pharmaceutical Roundtable
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE)'s Institute for Sustainability (IFS)
- Energy Efficiency and Cost Saving Opportunities for the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Energy Strategy for the Road Ahead
- Rating Energy Efficiency and Sustainability in Laboratories
- Find out why “Green starts with Energy”, from the BOMA Kingsley QUARTERLY, Spring 2006
- Green Buildings and Energy Efficiency: Diligence Pays
- Green Chemistry at Pfizer
- EPA Guiding Principles for Federal Leadership in High Performance and Sustainable Buildings
- Key green chemistry research areas: A perspective from pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Lessons learned through measuring green chemistry performance
- The Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Awards Program: Summary of 2007 Award Entries and Recipients
There are many solution providers helping to further sustainable practices within our industry. The following are just a few deserving acknowledgement.
Submit Information on Green Resources
Would you like to share best practices and lessons learned with your green initiatives? If so, please let us know and send us a draft of the article, or a 250-word abstract summarizing what you'd like to write about. We'll use that to develop the article for publication and/or add it to this online library. Please send your abstracts or articles to email@example.com