The Yokogawa MES system sends production alerts to the SAP Manufacturing Intelligence Dashboards to notify mySAP ERP users of critical operational events in real time. The events are configurable and include a wide variety of real time data, including alerts based upon the start and end of production, abnormal production occurrences like order cycle time exceeding targets, quality/lab results that are not acceptable, and the abnormal termination of an order due to production upsets. These real-time alerts permit adaptive manufacturing, providing production managers and corporate executives with real-time access to operational data without having to wait for daily, weekly or even monthly reports of production shortfalls.
The Yokogawa MES system also sends key performance indicator (KPI) data to the SAP Manufacturing Intelligence Dashboards. The KPI data is also configurable, reporting batch cycle time, OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness), individual unit (reactor) utilization rates, product quality levels and product cost vs. target. The KPIs are displayed in the SAP Dashboards that provides KPI trend displays and hyperlinks to related displays in the Yokogawa MES system.
The pharmaceutical sector
The ISA-95 interface enables bi-directional connectivity with SAP XI, which can be applied to pharmaceutical manufacturing. The FDA Process Analytical Technology initiative allows for the faster release of products by “real-time validation.” Costly and time-consuming off-line laboratory analysis has become obsolete in PAT processes. Validation of a PAT manufacturing process is based on process understanding. This implies that the inside of the process is visible in real time. As a result, the manufacturer understands what is seen and can control the process to stay within the defined boundaries that result in a product with the correct quality.
Exaquantum/Batch Plant Information Management System (PIMS) enables real-time data acquisition, batch manufacturing control and interpretation of collected data as well as 21 CFR part 11-compliant handling of the relevant records. This allows clear process visibility, the building of thorough process understanding and the possibility of adequate process control and preparation of the required regulatory documents, in real time.
SAP includes in SAP XI support of the ISA S95 standards for plant-to-business connectivity, which brings a whole new dimension to this by summarizing the critical process parameters in the management information system, allowing real-time visibility of plant performance and product validation in the board room. Through this, Yokogawa brings the VigilantPlant concept to the pharmaceutical industry in showing that Process Analytical Technology equals “See, Know and Act,” straight into the Management Information System.
Yokogawa recently presented key scenarios illustrating the capability of the new technology:
- Production Manager logs into the SAP Manufacturing Intelligence Dashboard and sees all critical KPIs are green and within target levels; the Manager then goes to a meeting.
- Manager returns from the meeting and sees an alert showing Production Order Cycle Time KPI is red.
- Production Manager drills down on KPI via a real-time Yokogawa iView that conditions in the plant and sees that the Pre-Mix unit is in hold.
- Production Manager and Operations Supervisor for the Pre-Mix area collaborate and agree on the actions to resolve situation.
- Plant Manager sees alert pertaining to potential Production Outage on SAP Manufacturing Intelligence Dashboard.
- Manager drills down on the alert to see imminent failure of a pump detected by the condition-based maintenance system, and passed to the SAP Manufacturing Intelligence Dashboard in real time via the Yokogawa solution.
- Plant Manager views current production order statuses via Yokogawa iView.
- Plant Manager collaborates with Production and Maintenance Managers, decision made to continue running pump for two more shifts in order to complete critical, high-profit orders.
- Plant Manager monitors pump and production statuses using iViews to monitor completion of critical orders and pump maintenance.