Facility of the Future Library
Editor’s Note: This Facility of the Future page began with our cover story in the November/December 2009 issue of Pharmaceutical Manufacturing magazine. That story, “Flexible Pharma: Puzzling Out the Plant of the Future,” is below. As part of our coverage, we received input from some of the leading experts in the industry—their visionary contributions are at right. And in the boxes below are white papers and news items that look towards the future of the pharmaceutical industry. We welcome your contributions!
Flexible Pharma: Puzzling Out the Plant of the Future
The need to improve agility and reduce financial risk is driving new approaches to plant design and operation, and the use of new technologies.
For years now, observers have said that pharmaceutical manufacturing must become more agile and that the industry faces a “sea change” in the way that it handles R&D and manufacturing. The last decade, like those that preceded it, has been marked by mergers, and many large, single-product facilities have been closed down. Yet, on the surface, little appears to have changed. Facilities have not become automated, “lights out” plants, continuous manufacturing is still relegated to specific niches, and PAT and QbD have not started a revolution, although they are gradually being applied, or at least studied by more companies.
However, the scene has been set for drastic change. In the U.S., discussions of healthcare reform bring the prospect of higher production levels and lower drug prices, while the likely approval of follow-on biogenerics promises to shave years off the marketable life cycle of biotech drugs. Is this the calm before the post-blockbuster storm? Read More.
3 Facility of the Future White Papers
90 Facility of the Future News Releases
- News from ISPE Annual Meeting: MedImmune Named Facility of the Year
- 2010 Facility of the Year Awards (FOYA) Winners Announced
- Merck VBF Program Named 2012 Facility of the Year Awards Overall Winner
- Six Facility of the Year Awards Winners Announced for 2013
- Xcellerex Announces Groundbreaking for New State-of-the-Art FlexFactory Biomanufacturing Facility
- Genentech’s ECP-1 Site Named Facility of the Year Winner
- Takeda Completes Russian Manufacturing Facility
- Criticizing the Cynicism Behind the Current Compounding Scandal
- The Aftermath of New England Compounding Center: Does your Company Have Business Process Risks too?
- Immigration Agents Arrest 43, Shut Down Facility of Pharma Vendor
- More news »
Read more on Facility of the Future
Facility of the Future Features
- Emerson’s Patnaik: Today’s Realities Shape a Vision of Pharma’s Future Facilities
- Pharmatech’s Chatterjee: Drug Manufacturing in the Future
- Langer: The Future of Biomanufacturing: Towards More, and Better, Therapies
- Tefen’s Mathew: The Pharma Facility in the Future
- Novavax’s Robinson: Taking Vaccines to the World
- Xcellerex’s Galliher: The Flexible Factory, Outsourced
- Pharma Facilities: Can One Patent Agility?
- Agalloco: Can We Break Down the Isolation Barriers?
- HP’s Simske: When Manufacturing and Packaging Merge
- Honeywell: The Future of the Plant Floor in a Wireless Environment
- NIPTE’s Basu: Musings of a QbD Pessimist
- Somma and Balakrishnan: QbD’s Future is Now
- Ciurczak: Thoughts of the Future of Pharma